Tuesday 29 July 2014

Adding Lip Gloss - A Photoshop Tutorial

Because I was too lazy to set up my camera and find the memory card and all that jazz, I am using a stock image that I found on Deviant Art.

I chose this image, because as you can see, the model has no make-up on her lips, which is good for showing how to add lip gloss. 

Step 1 :- Open the image in photoshop and duplicate the layer. I always do this just in case I make a mistake when using the healing brush or I just want to see the original untouched image.

Step 2 :- Use the magnetic Lasso tool  to go round the lips and then right click to create a layer via copy 
To find the magnetic lasso tool, right click the lasso toll and it is in the drop down menu


Make sure you set the feather to about 10-30 px depending on how big the image is.
If you close the other layers, the new layer should look like this.
Step 3 :- Go to Filter > Filter Gallery 
 Click on the Artistic folder and the Plastic Wrap option

Keep the detail low and smoothness high in order to create th glossy look, use the highlight strength  slider to decide how glossy you want the lips to be.
 The image should now look like this
Step 4 :-
 Use the eraser to remove the teeth fro the copied layer
It should look like this once you've removed them
 Set the bottom layer to visible and the image should look like this 

Bonus Tips!!

 To add colour create a new transparent layer on top of all the other layers
 Then select the paintbrush
and a colour you'd like to use. (I went for a hot pink colour)


 Set the layer to soft light
 and paint over the lips like so

So the image will then look like this once finished

Adding Glitter

 So to add glitter to the lips, you have to open another image

I used this glitter stock image again from Deviant Art
 move it to the the image of the lips so it will become a new layer to the image. 
You may have to resize or move the image, but I didn't need to so I left it.
Set the layer to Overlay
 So it will end up looking like this
 Lower the opacity right down to make it easier to work with so you can see the outline of the lips again
Use the magnetic lasso tool again to go round the lips
 After outlining the lips, then click the layer mask button, which is the white square with a black circle
The layer mask will remove part of the image that you don't want, however you will have to use the black paintbrush to remove the teeth
I set the layer opacity to 65, but it depends on how much you want the glitter to show.

So after a bit of retouching, my final image looks like this :)


No comments:

Post a Comment